Monday, September 10, 2012

Too Nice to Stay Inside

Red Flowering Broad Beans
The heavy dew on the kohlrabi leaves looks almost like frost, it is so thick. The morning is mild and beckons you to stay outside. The red flowering broad beans are beginning to flower. The new shoots of asparagus are beginning to appear but they seem spindly compared to last year. I decided to give them some more blood and bone and a couple of buckets of compost and mulch them with pea straw. The rainbow beets are beginning to make a lot of new leaves so I am certain that they will bolt to seed soon, maybe a nice borscht for lunch? There is a lot to do in the bed with the Kiffer limes planted in it. The heritage peas are beginning to gain enough height to train up the trellis and some spinach needs feeding with liquid fertiliser. The woody thyme has been dug up as it spread across the garden. I need to find somewhere else to plant it. The dandelions have self seeded and take some digging out as the roots are so deep. I think that I will replant them to the back of the garden where they will not take up so much room. I have almost half of the bed weeded and need to finish it off this week so that I can get it dug over and begin planting. I have bought some new berries and need to decide where to plant them. But first I need to get their stakes painted and ready. always so much to do!   

No comments:

Post a Comment