Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sunny Days

Potato garden
How wonderful to experience our first real spring day. The garden is waking up from the long winter and every day there is something new to see. I spent almost the entire day outside today with a small amount of guilt that I should have been inside weaving. There is lots of weeding to do and small fine weeds are appearing fast amongst the vegetables. The grape vines are beginning to bud and I need to get up on the ladder to take off a few long canes. The potato garden is looking good so today I dug over another square meter and planted some Kestrel potatoes, a nice flavorsome waxy variety. This is the last month to plant Broad Beans so I have planted them amongst the new potatoes. The Globe Artichokes are making some large leaves so I cut them back and used them along with buckets full of poppy seedlings to mulch the potatoes. So wonderful to spend a good day outside for a change! 

No comments:

Post a Comment