Sunday, January 7, 2024

Severe Weather Warnings

Yesterday Vic Emergency issued a severe weather warning alert for most parts of Victoria. Late yesterday after the press conference I emptied my sandbags from last years floods as the hessian had rotted form holding the wet sand and filled new plastic mesh bags. The shed and the courtyard are sandbagged anticipating flooding. Fingers crossed that that won't happen.
 
Currently we have steady rain which I am hoping won't become the severe thunderstorms that were predicted. We will just have to wait and see.
 
The garden is slowly producing, I picked my first Tommy Toe tomatoes yesterday and if the rain abates for a while I will gatherer a few more for my dinner tonight.
 
This is the first year that I am growing Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers, they seem to produce well as the plants are quite small and I have picked several this afternoon. I have a few green chilies on a plant from last year and a couple of jalapenos so I have picked those as well. Tomorrow I shall pickle them.
 
The garden has been slow this year although we have had several hot days so far it has been quite mild most days and with the rain watering has not been the full on job it normally is this time of the year.
 
The potatoes have almost grown more than half way up the fence so I am still wondering if there is much growing under the soil. They are currently flowering and I am being patient and waiting for them to die back before I investigate the situation. Seed sewing for winter veg is in the plans for this month so there is always something to do.
 
I am very aware of the 'Hungry Gap' so lets see if this year I can plan my plantings better.
 
The rain is now beginning to team down so I hope it slows down a bit.
 
Time to watch the evening news and see how the rest of the state is faring.     
 
      
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment