Sunday, June 30, 2013

Foggy Mornings

You really know that it is winter when you wake up to heavy fog. So thick that you can not see the other side of the street. It was our local Farmers Market today. which is only held here once a month. It is good to support these markets, our farmers and producers have been suffering high prices brought on by our recent 12 year drought. My neighbors have been working on their garden. So they have now removed the Virginia creeper and ivy that has been invading my garden by growing over the fence. It was growing on the other side of my old vegetable garden where I now grow all of my potatoes. I had been wanting to espalier some citrus trees along the fence for a long time now. But this had not been possible as they would have become tangled in the creeper. I bought a Lemonade, Washington Navel and a Valencia Orange to begin my planting. We have a local turkey grower who always has a stand at the Farmers Market. He sells lots of products, sausages and other manufactured goods as well as a good variety of cuts of meat. Turkey is something that we tend to associate with Christmas here and not often available in our supermarkets. His stand is always popular and he sells big bags of turkey wings really cheaply. They are great for making stock. Tonight we are having turkey soup for dinner and I have frozen some of the wings to make the famous Mexican Mole. I gave Coen a copy of Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals for Christmas. He was intrigued by the idea of chili and chocolate so I will make it for dinner later in the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment