Thursday, October 4, 2012

Planting New Berries

wisteria
The Wisteria is beautiful this year, only the second spring that it has flowered. Today has been the perfect spring day,, warm with little wind. I have planted out a new berry plot. I am not certain how much room they will take up? I plan to move them next Autumn over into the old vegetable garden. I am planning to make a more permanent support for them. In a program on Gardening Australia a few weeks ago a man in Tasmania showed how he plaits the canes together and secures them at the top with a garden tie. He commented that this method was once used by all the Tasmanian raspberry growers. I have planted thornless blackberries. raspberries, both summer and Autumn fruiting, young berries and loganberries, all the thornless varieties. I think you can tell I am not keen on picking berries from thorny branches! I have planted them all out in two rows as I will need to net the if we are to beat the birds to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment