Sunday, September 7, 2014

Sunday in the Garden

Time seems to go quickly these days, with very little time to spend in the garden. Spring is here but it is unseasonably dry. It makes me wonder what to plant, as everything is going to need watering unless we get good spring rains. I spent yesterday afternoon tying up the grapes on the pergola and doing a little pruning. I have so much pruning to do and it creates a lot of garden rubbish that I have to rely on others to take to the tip for me. I have spent the last few years trying to cut down on the amount of pruning by getting rid of a lot of my roses. There is a garden bed of hybrid tea roses along the side fence. A few of them decided to grow from the rootstock, so rather than replace them I decided to keep every second one and plant a hedge of orange trees. I have the space for five trees and today I have planted out three. A Seville Orange. a Seedless Valencia and a Sweet Mediterranean Orange. I have two other oranges to plant but the roses are proving difficult to dig out so maybe when my garden helper comes I can get him to dig them out for me. I seem to be planting a lot more citrus trees, mainly because for one the birds don't bother them and good orange juice is so expensive to buy. The Seville orange is sour and a favorite for marmalade and as I like to grow unusual produce I could not pass up the opportunity to plant my own. In a small community like mine you can't buy the fruit here so maybe I will have something to swap with another gardener. Always a good practice!
The photo is of my Crimson Flowering Broad Beans.    

No comments:

Post a Comment