Monday, October 22, 2012

Sunny Sunday

Nicoise-style salad
Yesterday was just perfect weather,sunny but mild. The type of day that you just want to spend outside. I planted out 4 Butternut pumpkin seedlings at the edge of the asparagus bed. This year I hope to be able to train them around the side of the house. Last time they grew along the courtyard path and prevented us from using the door. I really like Queensland blue pumpkins but they are too large for me, so I will try the butternuts instead. After much procrastinating about where to plant, I did manage to plant out two lots of Roma tomatoes. There are still a few self sown butter lettuce coming up so I transplanted a few of them out. I am noticing that one of the garden beds seems to get a lot of shade. Morning shade from my neighbours trees and afternoon shade from the shed. I am finding it difficult to decide what to plant there? I have lots of lettuce at the moment so lunch was a Nicoise-style salad. A friend gave me some wonderful free range eggs. I used lettuce, boiled egg, celery, olives, red capsicum, steamed beans, spanish onion, tinned tuna, a few fennel fronds and some chopped parsley. I tossed the lettuce in a dressing of lime juice and extra virgin olive oil. Wonderful home made lime mayonnaise under the tuna. Enjoyed in the garden along with a glass of wine. Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment