Saturday, October 20, 2012

Sunny Saturday

Yellow Podded Peas
I love lazy Saturday mornings and not having to get up early to take Coen to work. The yellow podded peas are flowering and setting their pretty yellow pods. I planted them because I wanted to include them in some paintings, but I have to say they don't seem to be very prolific. Never mind the flowers are especially delicate in colour and I can enjoy looking at them while I wonder around. The purple artichokes now have 3 small chokes appearing, the red broad beans are just spectacular with their abundant crimson flowers. The strawberries are in full flower, a few more asparagus spears are just poking up through the mulch. I have pulled up most of the Spanish onions as I need the space for summer planting. With all the wonderful lettuce I have at the moment and the warmer weather, salads are often on the menu. This morning I have watched at least six groups of morning walkers stop and to admire my chocolate coloured bearded iris's that are growing in the front garden. They are at their best at the moment. I really enjoy watching other people enjoying my front garden. So what is there ready to eat at the moment? Asparagus, rocket, rainbow chard, leeks, new potatoes, English spinach, Spanish onions, spring onions, welsh onions, lots of different lettuce, parsley and gorgeous french tarragon. The last of the mandarin's need picking, lemons are ready and of course there are still Tahitian limes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment