Monday, July 16, 2012

Mid Winter Blues

Teapot with lemon

It has been cold and rainy here and along with that come the inevitable flu season. As per usual we have not managed to escaped this. One of the challenges of a productive garden is using up your produce. The wind and rain has taken its toll on the Tahitian lime tree, most of the fruit has been knocked to the ground, but it has been put to good use. Lots of pots of lime, ginger and honey tea which has a comforting effect on a sore throat and reminds me of my childhood when my mother brought me lemon and honey for a bad cough whenever  I had a cold. Cold weather brings the need of comfort food so today I made some lime butter, maybe we will have a lime tart for dinner or some homemade scones. When I worked at the restaurant we had a lemon butter and Galliano soufflĂ© on the menu, it would be impossible to calculate how many I made over the years? Poor Coen, I don't think that I have ever made a soufflĂ© at home, maybe it's time I did.   

Lime Butter
180g chopped butter
2 cups castor sugar
1 tsp grated lime rind
200 mls lime juice
4 eggs beaten and strained

Method

Combine all ingredients in the top half of a double saucepan or heatproof bowl. Stir over simmering water until the mixture thickly coats the back of a wooden spoon. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal when cold. Makes about 3 cups. 

No comments:

Post a Comment